Pickled Tomato Relish aka fermented Pico de Gallo
◦ 3 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped
◦ 1/4 -1/2 cup white or red onion, finely chopped or 2/spring onions, finely
◦ 1 small cloves garlic, finely chopped with the core removed
◦ 1 small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
◦ 1 jalapeño or red chilli, finely chopped (remove stems & seeds if you want a milder salsa)
◦ 1/2 tablespoon celtic sea salt (taste as you go! If not salty enough for your taste, add another 1/2)
◦ 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds (optional)
◦ 4 tablespoons whey or 1 extra tablespoon salt.
Combine and mix all ingredients in a large bowl, then transfer to a clean jar.
Using a rolling pin mush and bruise the ingredients in the jar for a few minutes. This action helps to stimulate the lactic acid. Make sure you leave at least 1 inch of space at top to allow room for fermentation.
Leave on the shelf away from direct sunlight for approximately 3-5 days (depending on weather/humidity). When you think it’s ready have a taste. Be careful when opening the jar, open slowly as the fermenting gases will have built up significantly in the air tight jar. When it’s ready, you will see little bubbles floating up the sides of the jar.
Taste to make sure it’s good and fermented. Once it’s ready, transfer to fridge.
OPTIONS: try adding finely chopped capsicum, juice from a lime, basil, other spices, cayenne pepper, fennel, ginger, turmeric, any other flavours you think will work.
SERVE with fish, meats, in salads, with eggs, with hummus, on crackers, with cheese, with tacos – any way you like! Eat some fermented food every day for a happy belly and happy mind :)
This is a recipe the amazing Bubbayumyum and I created together for one of our #workshops.